VISIT MN Department of Public Safety on FACEBOOK.
FOR UPCOMING MEETING DATES, PLEASE VISIT THE CALENDAR TO YOUR RIGHT.
TEXTING PSA: Mom Body Bag
TEXTING PSA: Teen Body Bag
The mission of the Rice County TZD Safe Roads Coalition is to move Rice County toward zero deaths on our roads. Funded with a TZD (Toward Zero Deaths) Safe Roads grant, our coalition uses education, enforcement, engineering, and emergency servicesto increase the use of safety restraints and reduce the number of deaths on our county’s highways and roads. For more information visit the Minnesota Toward Zero Deaths website.
In the first grant year, the Coalition built a membership of 13 agencies representing public health, law enforcement, medical providers, county attorney’s office, school districts, county engineer, and fire department. A Fatality Review Committee with six members was established to review and evaluate all fatalities in Rice County in order to make recommendations for ways to educate drivers to prevent future crashes. Rice County is no longer on the list of the 13 Deadliest Counties for Impaired Driving Counties for 2012-2013. However, we are #14 so we cannot let up on our efforts. The top three traffic safety issues identified by the crash facts for Rice County are:
- Impaired driving
- Improper use of safety restraints/helmets
Now in the seventh grant year (October 2012-September 2013), the Coalition seeks to build on successful efforts from year one and implement additional activities to directly address the top two traffic safety issues in the community. Some planned activities are:
- Host Coalition Meetings every other month
- Schedule a Fatality Review Committee within one month of any traffic fatality, or minimally every quarter
- Participate in the Southeast Minnesota Safe Roads Toward Zero Death Coalition
- Submit monthly reports to the State of Minnesota, Office of Traffic Safety
- Enact and carry out 4 approved work plan activities:
- High Visibility campaign conducted in conjunction with law enforcement/MOD Squad
- Local government education
- Alternative Transportation: Sober Cab in Faribault & Northfield
For more information about the Rice County TZD Safe Roads Coalition, please contact:
Kathy Cooper, Coordinator
Rice County TZD Safe Roads Coalition
TZD Safe Roads Grant